While health is most important for all, it does tend to get sidelined at times. However, it is also important to know that even if you adhere to a balanced diet- packed with fruits and vegetables, exercise regularly, you are still likely to benefit from a multivitamin for men to bridge any nutritional gaps.
It is proper nutrition and diet which can mean the difference between feeling sluggish and being fit and healthy.
But if you are considering to begin taking a multivitamin, you might find yourself confused with the countless varieties available in the market. So how do you know which one is the best for you? Here are some quick tips to help you pick a product that can aid in your quest for optimum health:
- Check the Gender: It is important to realise, that all multivitamins aren’t intended to be consumed by everyone. Firstly, you have to be sure to choose a multivitamin supplement formulated for men. This is because the nutritional requirements of the body not only differ by the gender, but also by age; hence you also need to consider this to ensure that you get proper levels of nutrients that you need during every stage in life.
- What are the Key Nutrients: While the idea for a multivitamin for many is to chew on a vitamin C tablet, but most multivitamins contain some basic vitamins and minerals that are essential to everyone. Some of the common ones to look out for include Vitamin A, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, B6, pantothenic acid and B12), beta carotene, biotin, calcium, vitamin C, D2 or D3 (cholecalciferol). Vitamin E, Vitamin K, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium and selenium.
- Keep an Eye Out for Percentages: Always pay attention to the product label when choosing a multivitamin. The product label identifies the included nutrients and amounts per serving. It is usually best to select a multivitamin that offers 100 per cent of the recommended daily value for the majority of vitamins and minerals in the supplement. It is essential to note here that certain nutrients like calcium and magnesium are rarely offered at 100 per cent because then the pill would simply be too big for you to swallow.
- Do not go Overboard: While it may seem like a smart idea to choose a supplement that offers you over 100 per cent of the recommended daily value of certain nutrients, you may want to reconsider it. More is not necessarily better when it comes to supplementation, because you should be getting additional nutritional support through your diet, and certain nutrients can build up in our system and have potentially negative effects when taken in large doses.
- What is the Delivery Method: The method of delivery is equally important when choosing a multivitamin supplement for yourself. If you have difficulty in swallowing a tablet, you might end up less likely to take your multivitamin regularly. There are many different forms of multivitamins available in the market, like tablets, capsules, soft gels, gummies, liquids and even powders. So choose the form which initially appeals to you and you can change it too, if it isn’t comfortable for you later on.
- Other Considerations: The wide variety of multivitamin supplements for men available in the market today cater to many different and specific concerns. There are supplements specially formulated for people with food allergies, celiac disease and even for people leading a vegan lifestyle.
Although including a multivitamin supplement in your diet is normally beneficial, you must always consult your physician before beginning any supplement so as to prevent any harmful effects due to over dosage.