Have I ever told you how much I adore bread? There’s just something about the fluffy soft dough that gives me more satisfaction than most foods out there. However, it always has to be toasted. Slices of bread, tea cakes, bagels, crumpets, baguettes… you name it… I toast it.
Lately, I have a new addiction to crumpets, and it’s all thanks to a new discovery within the ‘bread market’, shall I call it. I know a lot of people who can only consume gluten free products, and for those of my readers who have coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance you will be thrilled to discover this lovely new addition to the breakfast table: Newburn Bakehouse Gluten Free Crumpets, by Warburtons.
I’m a real sucker for bread, or any type of baked, doughy goodness for that matter. You’ll usually find me trawling sites such as Village Bakery for all the recipes, tips and product recommendations when it comes to baking!
But sometimes, time just doesn’t allow. And in those cases, good quality breaded products are the first thing I’ll seek out in the supermarket…
Before I share with you my favourite crumpet recipe toppings, I wanted to tell you a few reasons why I’m addicted to these things:
- 1 Newburn Bakehouse crumpet contains 123 calories, and 2 of them for breakfast are more than enough to keep you filled up until lunch.
- They only contain 1.0g of fat and sugar
- Crumpets make a great base for a variety of toppings, from lovely hot salty butter, to melted cheese or honey! You can make your crumpets sweet, savoury, or even a mix of both. This is the beauty of them!
Moving on to my next part: my favourite crumpet topping recipe. I’ve actually been a little greedy and shared two with you, but one sits under savoury and one sweet, but I’m allowed two – right?
The Best Sweet Topping: Honey and Banana
THE BANANA BEE
- Lightly toast your crumpet and smother with butter
- Top with a layer of runny honey
- Chop up a banana into little slices and pile up high
A potassium packed, vitamin C boosting, sweet tasting treat that keeps you feeling full and satisfied.
The Best Savoury Topping: Cheese and Worcester Sauce
THE MELTED MONSTER
- Place your crumpets under the grill for 1 minute on a semi-high heat
- Pull them out and top with lots of grated cheese
- Sprinkle with gluten free Worcester sauce
- Pop back under the grill for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese and sauce has gone a crispy golden colour
These make a great savoury snack that have a slight crunchy texture, with a gooey cheese after taste! I find these especially scrumptious when I have those regular pizza cravings, yet want a smaller, quicker-to-cook alternative!
The best thing about my new found favourite snacks – Newburn Bakehouse’s gluten free crumpets – is that they are super soft and fluffy, with lots of little crumpet holes to absorb hot runny butter and tasty honey.
For those who need a gluten, wheat and milk free alternative to crumpets, I’d highly rate stocking up on these. And at £2 a pack, they are deliciously affordable too!
I hope this post have gave you some simple yet delicious crumpet topping inspiration. I also hope you’ve enjoyed discovering my newly found favourite gluten free crumpets! You can find a stockist list here.