Lately I’ve been spending more of my evenings hunched over the oven – I’m really trying to nail this baking malarkey. I’m definitely no Deliciously Ella, and I won’t be putting myself forward for the Great British Bake Off, but I have to say I’m getting much better. And I’m pretty proud of myself!
My latest ‘healthy-ish’ creation isn’t one I’m going to take credit for. It’s a recipe I discovered over at my blogger buddy’s website SpamellaB – who bakes naturally yummy creations.
So last week’s ‘bake off’ for me featured these Peanut Butter, Banana and Dark Choc Muffins. The only ‘sugar’ included in this which I get a bit funny about is maple syrup, but I amended the recipe to have 3 tablespoons, instead of the usual 5.
- 4 bananas
- 5 tablespoons smooth ot crunchy Peanut Butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk (I used soya but I’d recommned almond!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (If you have this – I’ve skipped this step before)
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and lightly grease a 6-hole muffin tin (or adapt the recipe for 12 muffins)
- Place 3 bananas, Peanut Butter, eggs, almond milk, vanilla and maple syrup in a blender and whizz up until smooth.
- Stir together the dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Pour the blended peanut mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Gently fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins to reach just the top. Slice any remaining banana into thin coins and place one in the centre of each one. I made a mistake here by making my bananas too thick, which can weigh down the mixture and prevent a full rise
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until risen and golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Voila! These taste amazing when slightly warm and the dark chocolate has melted a little
Delicious with a cup of Green Tea, in which you can feel slightly naughty, but not too bad!