Alexa Chung, a young girl from Privett in Hampshire, was a relatively unknown model when she started out as a co-host of Channel 4’s Popworld. Pretty, witty and cool, she was just like the girl next door. And then she started being spotted out and about with Alex Turner, the then lead singer of the hugely popular Arctic Monkeys.
Her distinctively quirky, preppy style started to get her noticed and before you could say “LBD”, Alexa was blasted into the glamorous world of fashion and was soon hailed as the Queen of British style – the modern day Kate Moss. Now a contributing editor at Vogue UK and regularly named in ‘best dressed’ lists, it’s difficult to open any women’s fashion magazine in the UK and not see her picture. But how does she get it so damn right time and time again?
Alexa’s signature look is grungy but delicately pretty. Designer favourites include Chanel, Carven and Christopher Kane, but if the high street is more suited to your budget, there are some key items to look out for in order to replicate her distinctly British style.
- In general terms, think Kurt Cobain meets Jane Birkin and you can’t go too far wrong.
- Where possible, mix designer pieces with vintage finds.
- The Peter Pan collar is a timeless piece for Alexa; while other year-round favourites include mini dresses, crisp fitted white shirts and schoolboy leather brogues. In the summer, go for a floral playsuit and denim jacket.
- Go for floral patterns, monochrome or earthy urban colours combined with Aztec print which is going to be hot this year.
- Alexa is a self-confessed fan of London College of Fashion recent graduate JW Anderson, and was an early adopter of his pyjama trend. Now collaborating with high street retailers, you can’t go wrong with his collections – Alexa says so!
- She once said her favourite London retailer was Dover Street Market on Dover Street, West London. Shoot over there to snap up a gem, and you might even bump into the lady herself.
Rumour has it that Alexa is planning to launch her own clothing line – How better to stay on top of the latest fashions than to have access to items Alexa has handpicked for us? It’ll be like having her as our personal shopper. Can’t wait!